Monday, February 2, 2015

hi my name is

my name is sugar and you stop in the middle of the sidewalk to scan me up and down like a piece of meat for purchase and the way you lick your lips kind of reminds me of a snake stalking his prey and your words reverberate in my dreams that night like the echo of a gunshot

my name is why don't you smile and i'm fourteen years old in the city with my friends for the first time and we walk a little faster along with our heartbeats as you follow us for a full block naming one of my friends why so frigid and the other don't be such a bitch 

my name is slut and i guess i deserve this because the skin of my shoulder is showing and i know how irresistible that is but a tank top shouldn't stop you in your tracks and it shouldn't prevent you from focusing in school but you were asking for it is yet another name you tack upon me

my name is damn girl and you laugh like this is a compliment but you can't see the blood in my veins turn to ice and you don't know what it's like to be scared to walk down the street because the saying boys will be boys seems to justify just about anything these days

my name is sexy thing my name is look at me my name is stop frowning and you think you're too good for me? and these are all compliments and according to merriam-webster a compliment is "a polite expression of praise or admiration" so i think you're a bit confused

my name is nice words turned into daggers, flowers turned into weapons, and i've never met a man who met his wife cat-calling on the street. my name is women like you need to go back to the kitchen and every single "compliment" you dole out like tokens at an arcade pollutes the air just a little bit more, my name is princess and if anyone ever spoke to your mother like that, you would strangle him with your bare hands

my name is look at that body and i'm twelve years old again and i'm pedaling my bicycle as fast as i can, away from you, your jeers sneaking into the basket between my handlebars and underneath the soles of my sneakers and at this moment i've never felt so small

so if compliments are supposed to make someone feel good i sure as hell don't know what you're thinking about but as long as your bros are impressed and as long as you're able to shove my name into your back pocket to brag about at the bar that night and as long as you don't see the way we run all the way home and sleep with the lights on and padlock the door because your words chipped away who we are

as long as you have the upper hand

my name is whatever you want it to be


15 comments:

  1. Sam, YES. I was literally just going to write on this same topic because I'm so fed up.

    You say it so much better than I ever could. Wow. You are my role model. This was just so needed at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck to the yes! Perfectly said, dear. Amazing, amazing post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY SHiTIEETWET

    power to the women and you are one powerful woman.

    preach it mamma

    ReplyDelete
  4. i read it twice so i'm going to comment twice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i read it twice so i'm going to comment twice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOLY SHiTIEETWET

    power to the women and you are one powerful woman.

    preach it mamma

    ReplyDelete
  7. ps when you read it out loud it was even better

    ReplyDelete
  8. everything + the picture at the end made me yesssss
    you know?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am giving you a standing ovation in my mind right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.s. I stalked your blog all last semester so when you commented on mine I was #fangirling

      Delete
  10. sam sam sam. this post ROCKED. and you killed it when you read it in front of the class, like i wouldn't even be mad if you did it for our next "poetry slam", too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You write with so much power and style and ease and holy this was just all so spot on.

    ReplyDelete