Tuesday, February 17, 2015

red balloon

the other day I sprained my ankle
I jumped too high and fell too hard
I should've known the monkey bars were out of my reach

miss robertson gave me a red ballon after class one day
I tied it 'round my wrist but somehow it got free
I chased after it anyway because back then I swore I could fly

the stars sure do shine bright and I thought they were shining just for me
and all I wanted was to feel the universe brush my lined palms
not to be burned by the unforgiving galaxy

people aren't spaceships and I am a tree
better to stay rooted in the soil that is home
I may become gnarled but at least my branches stay tidy

last week I saw that red balloon floating in the unknown
but I kept my feet planted firmly on the ground
the other day I sprained my ankle, after all

up there in the sky is everything I ever wanted
but people aren't spaceships
and I have a sprained ankle

maybe next week, I suppose





8 comments:

  1. wait this made me so sad inside.
    in such a good way

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why, but it matters so much that the balloon was red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was the perfect amount of I-dont-get-it and it-totally-makes-sense, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I chased after it anyway because back then I swore I could fly

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is the epitome of growing up, and you captured it in the most beautiful and delicate way.. it was completely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad, but too good. And I second what Nelson said.

    ReplyDelete