Wednesday, October 15, 2014

flightless bird, monster trees

I've got a serious case of homesickness 
that is, I'm sick of home
and sick of you



these mountains don't feel like a playground anymore
they feel like a prison 
the neighbors are faceless and the cars are just specks
blurred together
like one of those "abstract" paintings that's really just a bunch of smudges.
this town is a fish tank
too small for the dreams held within my mind
and I'm the little girl waiting in the doctor's office,
sucking on a lolly,
the stars painting constellations in my head
and the moon is made of cheese.
 
on those 5am jogs
the dusky pink sunrise my only companion
the sweat gathers on my skin like angry lava
burning and burning and burning
but when I look down, the edges of my clothes aren't seared
my skin isn't charred
and when I look up, I see the same sun.



fake is in the water here,
and I'm afraid it's permeated my bloodstream
now my smile is made of silicon
and my heart is made of plastic
(at least it can't be broken now)

give me taxis and grime and shoe-box apartments
give me chaos and confusion and opportunity
give me the world in a city
and I'll take it for my keeping
and in return,
you can have the small town gossip
you can have the judgmental glares on Sunday mornings
you can have the guy at age 19.
trust me, I won't lose any sleep over it.




the trees have never looked so much like monsters 
but the sky has never been so blue
and I'm a flightless bird
chained to the ground
a hiker passes
"why don't you fly?" he asks, 
gesturing towards heaven
and while the forest floor may be beautiful
it's never felt more like hell




a sparrow takes flight
"wait for me," I murmur.
these mountains are a prison but my sentence isn't forever
this isn't home
but it's out there waiting for me
page blank, waiting to be written
my pencils are sharpened and ready to go
and my heart is too.
so, I'll see you soon.




maybe I'll send a postcard.




7 comments:

  1. "my pencils are sharpened and ready to go
    and my heart is too.
    so, I'll see you soon.




    maybe I'll send a postcard."

    i love how you write and this gave me chills and you have the best vocabulary (random) but so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was nostalgic and whatever the opposite of nostalgic is.

    You are too big for this town.

    "fake is in the water here."

    And that part about your heart being plastic.

    I can't wait to get that postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a bird chained to the ground.
    uh huh.
    this is really good stuff.
    I love your blawg

    ReplyDelete
  4. "fake is in the water here,
    and I'm afraid it's permeated my bloodstream
    now my smile is made of silicon
    and my heart is made of plastic
    (at least it can't be broken now)" #stolen and that whole last paragraph is amazing. I love eveything about your writing and this post especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "maybe, i'll send a postcard"
    k ya. so givin' me chills. this is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete