Sunday, October 12, 2014

adult-induced amnesia







my mom told me that there's no such thing as teenage love.


I call bullshit.

I've got this theory that the moment you turn 18, a veil is dropped over your mind and suddenly you forget what it's like to be young

forget every feeling

every emotion

everything

adults tell us that we need to grow up, but they're amnesiacs with a superiority complex so excuse me if I ignore their advice

because they've forgotten.

they've forgotten what it's like to fail that test you studied all night for in the hopes that maybe, just maybe it would bring that stubborn A- up to that ever elusive A.

they've forgotten what it's like to write essays for hours in the hopes that you'll get into that prestigious school you've always dreamt of, and they've forgotten what it feels like when you get rejected and watch your dreams crumble to dusty pieces.

they've forgotten what a curse it is and what a blessing it is to feel deeply enough to skim the ocean floor.

they've forgotten how it feels when he writes his name in permanent marker on your heart

they've forgotten how it feels when you realize that he only let you write yours in pencil.

they've forgotten what how it feels to be told that you don't know what you want and you'll understand when you're older because as a teenager, there's no possible way that anything you are feeling is actually valid.

they've forgotten what it's like to be too young to fall in love but too old to order off of the kid's menu.

they've forgotten what it feels like to be late for curfew and they've forgotten what it feels like to sneak out after curfew.

they've forgotten how high school hallways feel like a little bit like hell and smell like a locker room.

they've forgotten about that couple that always makes out in front of your locker and while you act disgusted, deep down (and I mean deep, deep down) you're actually jealous.

they've forgotten the words to their favorite songs and they'll never understand why those concerts you go to make you feel so alive.

they've forgotten what it's like to plaster on a smile and paint your lips with lies just to make it through another day.

they've forgotten why you write that angsty poetry and why you dress in black and why you listen to those depressing songs on rainy days.

they've forgotten what it's like to rearrange the stars for someone whose telescope lens is pointed at some other constellation.

they've forgotten how to throw care to the wind and maybe common sense too, and how to love too deeply and dance too wildly and care too often and live too fully.

and as 17 creeps closer and closer to 18, I can't help but dread the moment that clock strikes twelve

because I don't want to forget.
 


20 comments:

  1. best blog post ive read yet. im obsessed.

    also, i quoted you like 1939023 times on my #stolen page. So yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "because as a teenager, there's no possible way that anything you are feeling is actually valid."

    I LOVE ALL OF THIS SO MUCH. Seriously so amazing and true. Ah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could quote this whole post. I loved the whole thing. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'applause' 'applause' 'standing ovation' GIVE US MORE

    ReplyDelete
  5. "because I don't want to forget."

    So many good parts. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. "they've forgotten how it feels when he writes his name in permanent marker on your heart
    they've forgotten how it feels when you realize that he only let you write yours in pencil."

    this hit me hard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. Along with everything else. This was spot on.

      Delete
  7. "and as 17 creeps closer and closer to 18, I can't help but dread the moment that clock strikes twelve"

    yes. this was so spot on. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "they've forgotten what a curse it is and what a blessing it is so to feel deeply enough to skim the ocean floor.

    they've forgotten how it feels when he writes his name in permanent marker on your heart

    they've forgotten how it feels when you realize that he only let you write yours in pencil."

    yes, very nice i loved this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "adults tell us that we need to grow up, but they're amnesiacs with a superiority complex so excuse me if I ignore their advice"
    I loved this
    I loved ALL OF THIS

    ReplyDelete
  10. "they've forgotten how it feels when he writes his name in permanent marker on your heart

    they've forgotten how it feels when you realize that he only let you write yours in pencil."

    this wasn't my favorite line, there were too many and this post gave my heart the chills.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "they've forgotten what a curse it is and what a blessing it is to feel deeply enough to skim the ocean floor." #stolen

    this is definitely one of my favorite posts written this year. probably because it hits close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post speaks to the broken hearted.... The teens that claimed they where in love and no on believed them.... Once I turn 18 and am still in love I will happily say I told you so

    ReplyDelete
  13. That whole people making out in front of your locker thing actually happens irl. I wasn't actually thinking about being jealous, though, I was more just thinking, "how can I extract my math book without having to acknowledge them?" (solution: walk away and come back later.) Anyways, fantastic. This was beautiful. Really really.

    ReplyDelete