Sunday, September 21, 2014

Someday, Someday

someday, someday
love will make my acquaintance,
first he will offer me a smile,
then he will offer me the world
because I will be his
And he will be mine

he'll be a lighthouse in the eye of the hurricane,
kissing away stormy tears and clouded doubt,
until I am no longer crying
but I am crying
because I am happy
that at last, the sun has come out.

he'll look at me like poetry,
seeing meaning beneath the black and white,
and like my ap lit teacher he'll analyze
annotate
lift layer upon layer
and during one of those late night conversations he'll finally understand,
and we will breathe the sadness out of our blackened lungs
so at last
we can breathe together.

this love of mine, he'll have the patience of a saint.
when I pause, he'll wait
eager to hear every thought
every idea
he'll feast on my words like a man starved for years,
each syllable a drug,
and he's an addict with no intention of quitting.

he'll let me ride on his handlebars,
(no one's ever let me do that before,)
wind intertwined with tangled hair,
the moon will baptize my freckled face,
the stars act as our enraptured audience,
the lucky ones with the coveted ticket
to the greatest love story of all time.

but for now, I'll wander alone
my hands will hold nothing but my hope for the future
my lips will mouth the words I am too scared to say
and I will love myself the way I deserve to be loved.

someday, someday
that day is not today
but this is not a poem, this is a promise
this is an oath tattooed in the crevices of my heart
buried deep but never forgotten
so that when love at last arrives
I'll be able to offer a smile back,
and when he hands me the world,
I'll know how to handle it
because I have held the moon,

and

someday

is

now.




8 comments:

  1. I was in this class two years ago and I don't have a blog anymore but seriously,

    damn.

    you can write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "this love of mine, he'll have the patience of a saint." Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh. so perfect. speechless

    ReplyDelete
  4. "he's an addict with not intentions of quitting."

    this is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "he'll look at me like poetry,
    seeing meaning beneath the black and white,"

    #stolen

    ReplyDelete