Sunday, December 21, 2014

who are you?

I've never really liked the gap between my teeth
and I ponder my mortality more than any 18 year old girl should
My mom tells me I'm too opinionated
but I think that's because she's scared I'll grow up to be a democrat.

I've been told I give good handshakes
I think that's because I've always felt like I have something to prove,
ever since I got second place in my elementary school spelling bee,
ever since my seventh grade teacher accused me of cheating on my paper because the words I used were "too big",
ever since that boy told me that I didn't seem like the type of girl who actually had a brain,
ever since I started to dream.

I get awkward when I talk to teachers,
and I never know what to say when people cry,
I used to believe I knew exactly what my future held.
But the envelope from my dream school that I received in the mail this week told me otherwise. (Application Status: Deferred)


Today while I was writing college essays, one of them asked me:

Who are you?

Well, Admissions Committee, that's a good question.


I am:
Stubborn.
Passive.
Awkward.
Confident.
Hesitant.
Loud.
Quiet.
Passionate.
Careless.
I am:
A nobody.
I am:
A somebody.
I am:
One big walking contradiction.


Who are you?

My mom calls me Samantha.
My friends call me Sam.
The internet calls me @SamBamYesIAm.
You call me Celeste.


And as for what I call myself?


I'll let you know when I figure that out.


samantha frazier









19 comments:

  1. "and I never know what to say when people cry"

    me either. But I really liked this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to comment the same thing ^^^^

    You're incredible sam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The handshake part.

    What happens to a dream deferred?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew from the beginning you would be a stellar writer. I remember in Mrs springers English class you were always the sharpest. well well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam you are amazing. thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Probably on of my favorite #Realtalk posts so far.
    Sam, your heart belongs to Paris.
    Thanks for being real.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this was such an amazing post. and blog. and everything. just so proud to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously I don't have words, this is so.. wow. Amazing blog. Truly beautiful writing, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this post!! Your blog was definitely one of my favorites! Thank you so much for your writing! Your amazing

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have so many things to be Sam. and you were a killer knowledge bowl teammate <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. everything you write amazes everyone.
    you have a talent thats for sure.
    i look forward to reading your posts every week. and i've loved every single one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my all time fav writers
    @sambamyesiam

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rt @carina copper
    Ily Samantha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commenting back bc I thought your icon was you for a second but it's not.
      And <3

      Delete
  14. I LOVED your blog. "I am one big walking contradiction." All your posts are always so relatable and real. Please don't stop writing, it's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blog is so so good. Never stop writing because your words are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete