Sunday, December 14, 2014

of raindrops and sunshine


I remember the rain.

I remember words hurling through the air like daggers and I remember the hole he punched in the wall.

I remember the police sirens disrupting the night and the unopened bottle of Gatorade I found on the counter the next day.

I remember you walking me to my car and walking away awkwardly because you weren't sure whether to hug me or not, so you didn't. I remember you never hugged me again.

I remember wishing you would've.

I remember when they sat me down and delivered the news, tears streaming down their faces. I remember that at six years old, I didn't quite comprehend what it meant when they said she was in a better place.

I remember the tears that only come once I saw the cold marble headstone.

I remember the sun.

I remember dancing in your bedroom at two in the morning to some vapid pop song and wishing that moment would last forever.

I remember mint ice cream cones on the corner of Dewey Street with my second grade crush.

I remember the stranger that called me beautiful at dinner that night.

I remember watching High School Musical for the first time and how I cried at the ending.

I remember shaking hands and butterflies when I leaned in for that first kiss. (It was truth or dare, but still. #manbun)

I remember laying on the golf course looking at the stars for hours.

I remember that night on my couch when I cried into your shoulder, and I remember feeling so damn lucky to have someone like you in my life. 

I remember every kind word and every soft smile and every little compliment and every warm embrace and every peal of laughter 

and I remember falling in love with the human race 


over and over again


I remember the rain.

And oh, how I remember the sun.





7 comments:

  1. Loved the whole thing. The whole dang thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "and I remember falling in love with the human race"

    that line spoke to me. I have the same problem. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I remember every kind word and every soft smile and every little compliment and every warm embrace and every peal of laughter
    and I remember falling in love with the human race
    over and over again"
    #manbun

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man this was good.
    I'm not writing a favorite line because the whole thing deserves to be quoted and i love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Falling in love with the human race.

    This made me warm. And gave me chills. All at once. And I want to remember like you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Falling in love with the human race"

    "And oh, how I remember the sun"

    in love with this post & ur words. all types of memories all types of emotions.

    ReplyDelete