Sunday, November 9, 2014

not like the other girls


"I'm not like the other girls."
Congratulations! Your mother must be so proud.
But if you don't mind me asking....
What's so wrong with them?

"I'm not like the other girls."
Because she wears high heels and you wear sneakers
Because she paints on her confidence with a tube of red lipstick,
and you'd much rather go bare.

"I'm not like the other girls."
I didn't know your penchant for classic novels made you better than her,
she only reads John Green books,
and heaven forbid someone read something that can't be dissected twenty different ways in a classroom.

"I'm not like the other girls."
You whisper as you see her walk into the party,
Wearing a skirt that resides on the corner of slut and whore
And you wear your worn pair of blue jeans like a medal of honor.

"I'm not like the other girls."
Taylor swift, you know I love you..
But shaming the slut should be left in the sixth grade.
Your t-shirts aren't superior to her short skirts
and why does it matter if she's cheer captain?
                                                                   
                                                                      

Degrading someone for their sexuality is a new name for an old game
and frankly, it's about time someone flashes that GAME OVER screen.
Stop the hate.
I, for one, would love to be known as someone "like the other girls."
You are all beautiful.
Strong.
Resilient.
And perfect in your own way.

So let the sun keep shining on your faces,
All of you
Don't let the clouds of shame darken your disposition.
Your choices are just that-yours.

Do a duck-face.
Go to that party.
Join the cheer squad
 or
Write poetry
Stay tucked away in bed on Friday nights,
Join the marching band

But whatever you do,
Don't you dare make someone feel dirty or
inferior for their choices.
And just know,


I'd be honored to be like all of you.

12 comments:

  1. I like this.
    It's so so true.
    Make your choices and be who you wanna be not letting anyone else affect what you do and how you think.
    Thnaks for writing this. It needed to be said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so so so ... yes.
    beautiful. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow I don't even know what to say. I'm speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me feel good/happy thank you celeste.
    Also..."Wearing a skirt that resides on the corner of slut and whore" this made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay this is amazing and I love it with all my heart.
    top 5 please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Important. Important. Everything you write.

    ReplyDelete